Precise flow measurement of gases and fluids is required for the better direction and kind of industrial methods. A flow meter is a tool that holds the flow velocity of a liquid. Flow meters are flow controlling tools used to store gas or liquid’s direct, nonlinear, volume, or volumetric flow rate. Flow meters are also recognized as Flow Standards or flow analysis tools. With the help of these devices, the measuring of water flow becomes more easy and safe. In this article, we have discussed all types of flow meters and their advantages.
Types of Flowmeters or Flowmeter Types
Broadly two kinds of flow meters are generally used in activities:
- Volumetric Flowmeters and
- Mass Flowmeters
Volumetric flow meters got their title because they hold the fluid volume moving through a particular area in a set time. Flow meters give an instant analog, digital, or pulse output of the volumetric flow rate of the fluid or gas. Different kinds of Volumetric Flowmeters are available, as noted below.
Mass flow meters hold the liquid mass flow rate that moves by tube per unit of time. There are two kinds of mass flowmeters, as specified below.
- Coriolis Mass flowmeter and
- Thermal Mass flowmeters
The Annubar flowmeter is a tool to hold the liquid flow (fluid, vapor, or gas) in a pipeline. The flow regulates by forming a differential pressure. As per Bernoulli’s theorem, this differential pressure equals the square of the liquid speed in the pipeline. The annular flowmeter means this differential pressure turned to flow rate using a trivial tool.
Benefits of Annubar flowmeters
- The entire complex head provides direct mounting of DP conductors.
- Hot tapping: Inclusion or fitting without system shutdown
- Very low-pressure decrease
Variable Area Flowmeters or Rotameters
Variable area flowmeters or rotameters are some of the extensively usable general flowmeter kinds. It comprises a vertical glass or plastic tube. The extent of the tube alters from top to base, because of which it got its name as a mutable area flowmeter. Inside the tube, there is a free-moving metering platform.
Benefits of Rotameters
- Easy, robust, and long output
- It does not need outside impulse or lead lines.
- The mass drop is insignificant and almost even.
- Work on Faraday’s Law of magnetic induction.
- When a conductive liquid flows in a magnetic field, a voltage forms between two plates at right angles to the fluid speed and field adjustment.
- The flow tube has a firm area & field strength, so the generated voltage equals the volumetric flow rate.
Benefits of Magnetic Flowmeters
- Flow rate unchanged by liquid consistency, density, thickness, turbulence, or piping shape.
- Highly specific due to the lack of running parts and outer sensing lines
- Rust-resistant using Teflon liner and platinum wires
- Vast flow holding scales & no pressure drop
- Discovery of the spirals using pressure variations in the vortex stream. An obstacle placed over the pipe bore at a right angle to liquid flow.
- As liquid flows, eddies are cast from alternating sides of the body & this dropping rate is directly equal to fluid speed.
- The speed of the creation of vortices is directly equal to the flow meter.
Benefits of Vortex Flowmeters
- Minimal keeping, no shifting parts.
- Calibration using liquid flow is not needed & untouched by thickness, mass, pressure, and temperature within the working term.
- Digital or analog production.
- A pair of transducers, transmitter, and transceiver, put on the pipe wall, one set upstream and the other set downstream.
- The time for acoustic streams to move from the upstream transducer to the downwards transducer (td) is less than the time needed for the waves to travel from the downstream to the upwards stream (tu).
- The greater the variation, the greater the flow speed.
Benefits of Ultrasonic Flowmeters
- No difficulty and running parts in the flow path
- No force drop
- Low keeping cost
- Multi-path images have higher efficiency for more extensive arrays of Reynolds numbers.
- It utilizes corrosive liquid flow.
- Portable models available for area analysis and summary
- It comprises a multi-bladed rotor positioned at right angles to the flow & hung in the liquid stream on a free-running behavior.
- The width of the rotor is somewhat less than the inner width of the flow metering assembly.
- The velocity of rotation of the rotor is equal to the volumetric flow rate.
Benefits of Turbine Flowmeter
- Very reliable. Usually used to determine other flow meters.
- The digital output gives for direct totalizing, batching, or digital blending without decreasing efficiency.
- There is less bent to read high in beating flow than in head or variable area kind meters.
Positive Displacement Flowmeters
- This meter regularly captures the liquid into a known volume and then carries it out.
- The quantity of liquid that has moved is based on the number of tricks.
- The amount flow speed determines from the rotation rate of the mechanical method.
Advantages of PD Flowmeters
- Exemplary efficiency and high rangeability
- It is used in viscous fluid flow.
- Low to average primary set up cost
- Need no power supply and is available in a broad class of readout tools
Thermal Mass Flowmeter
- Works by controlling the cooling effect of gas water as it moves over a heated transducer.
- Gas flow moves over two PT100 RTD transducers.
- The temperature transducer controls the actual gas method temperature, while the self-heated transducer is directed at an average differential temperature by changing the current.
Benefits Of Thermal Mass Flowmeter
- No temperature or pressure coverage is needed.
- Direct output as temperature differential is equal to mass flow.
- It is used for corrosive method streams if formal elements are defined.
- DC energy or 4 to 20 mA dc outputs available.
Coriolis Mass Flowmeter
- When a moving section is constrained to an oscillation perpendicular to its way of evolution, Coriolis forces happen to depend on the mass flow.
- When the tube goes upward during the initial half of a cycle, the liquid flowing into the meter continues being made up by starting down on the tube.
Benefits of Coriolis Mass Flowmeters
- Proficient in holding multiple handling liquids
- Independent of mass changes, flow profile, and flow disturbance. Therefore direct lengths are not needed.
- No routine keeping is required since no shifting parts.
- High precision
Parameters concerning Flowmeter Selection
Several parts affect the flowmeter choice for a particular industrial method. Some of those parts are:
- The fluid state. For instance, gas, fluid, steam.
- Flow states and flow range. For instance, clean, dirty, rough, or viscous liquid.
- Method design dynamics. For instance, pressure, temperature limits, mass.
- Pipe size
- Exactness desired.
- Element of Construction (corrosive or non-corrosive liquid).
- Repeatability and affordability.
- Environmental concerns, if any.
A venturi tube means flow rates by compressing liquids and holding a differential pressure fall. In the upstream amplifier of the Venturi meter, speed is raised, the pressure is reduced. Pressure drop in the upstream cone is used to regulate the speed of flow by the device.
Benefits of Venturimeters
- More profound head needs than orifice plates decreasing the capital investment on pumping eqpt. save pump service costs
- No method checks for the exchange of the DP transmitter.
- It uses temperature regulation.
- Cryogenics or High Temperatures
Oval Gear and Oscillating Piston Flow Meters
- High measuring efficiency
- Fit for regulating media with high thickness
- Works in both flow paths forward and turn.
- No flow profile results. Thus no need for channel and exit parts.
- No external power equipment
Differential Pressure Flowmeters
- Entirely proper for fluids, gases, and steam
- Also usable in extreme conditions, e.g., thickness, due to a kind of reports.
- Estimations possible for special circumstances
- Fit for excessive temperatures and stresses
- Range varies possible
- Low-pressure fall for nozzles
Installation of Flowmeters
Flow measurement utilizing flowmeters is a vital activity for any industry. So, it must give honest and reliable data. The precision and repeatability of evaluated data, to a large degree, rely on the correct fitting of the flowmeter. Some of the crucial steps to consider are the following:
- Place it in an appropriate place.
- Avoid the region with high frequency and wave.
- Before holding, make the flow path clear.
- Flowmeters fix on a vertical pipe.
- Some flowmeters might require a straight length upwards and downwards of flowmeter. It’s reliable outcomes.
- For fluid flow uses, make the descending flow shunned.
- Assure to drive the flowmeter filled with liquid.
- Vapor or air in fluid lines and fluid droplets in gas lines gets withdrawal.
- It is excellent to fit a filter upstream of the flowmeter to exclude solids.
- If repair needs, a by-pass line should store.
Therefore, this was all about the flow meter types and their benefits. The mentioned flow meters are safe to use and provide precise calculations. It also provides signals whether the liquid is contaminated or clean. At proteus, you will get the best devices and tools for use. they are best for commercial and residential purposes. For more details contact us on the given number or visit our website. We assure you of the two years warranty of all our devices.