This technical post will guide you on how to migrate public folders to Office 365 from Exchange 2010. Still, a professional solution is explained here that will facilitate you to migrate Exchange 2010 to Office 365 with the entire database.
Even though both email platforms come from the same developer, switching from a desktop to a cloud-based email platform is a big job. So, Exchange to Office 365 migration requires detailed planning and a systematic approach.
There are many edges where users want to migrate Exchange 2010 to Office 365. Exchange to Office 365 migration is complicated, so we wrote this post to make it easier for everyone. It also involves a solution to how to migrate public folders to Office 365 from Exchange,
Methods for Exchange Database to Office 365 Migration
This post includes a few native methods and a professional Exchange to Office 365 migration tool. All these have different functionalities to migrate Exchange 2010 to Office 365.
The free, native ways to migrate Exchange 2010 to Office 365
Three ways to migrate Exchange public folders to Office 365 from Exchange are available:
A cutover migration is a primary way to migrate Exchange 2010 to Office 365. It needs Exchange 2010 to be cut out and pasted into Office 365. A cutover migration will likely take a long time to migrate public folders to Office 365. It also says that the cutover migration needs more planning and steps. Like:
- Ensure Exchange 2010 is up-to-date for the SP3 pattern and disable dir sync and integrated messaging.
- Consider Exchange Server 2010 is set up so that Outlook Anywhere can be operated.
- Provide the accounts used for the Microsoft Hosted Exchange migration with the necessary permissions.
- Add a new mail-enabled security group to Office 365 to set up security groups.
- Perform a domain clarification in Office 365.
- Set up the migration endpoint towards the Exchange Admin Centre.
- Add a cutover batch for migrating mailboxes and wait for it to finish before rerouting MX.
A hybrid deployment allows Exchange Server 2010 and Office 365 to work together. A hybrid deployment is an updated version of the formed Migration for Exchange Server 2003 and 2007. Most of the time, hybrid migration is used when there are a lot of data to move, and the process takes a long time. It is also the only native way to move to 2000 Exchange mailboxes. This Exchange to Office 365 migration method will work if you have more than 150 mailboxes. A Hybrid Configuration Wizard (HCW) is needed to set up a hybrid situation to migrate public folders to Office 365.
Import PST feature
In the manual method, PST files are moved into user mailboxes. This method is the best way to move from Exchange 2010 to Office 365 in the short term. Most of the time, Exchange 2010 mailboxes are moved to PST files and then imported into Office 365 mailboxes. Setting up the Office 365 environment requires a lot of work.
Challenges with the above methods:
There are a few difficulties if you use the native method to migrate Exchange 2010 to Office 365. Here are some of them:
- Exchange to Office 365 migration configuration procedure takes a lot of time to do by hand.
- These very complex methods don’t assure success 100% of the time.
- If you make an error with any of these, you could lose data or have a process fail.
- Using native methods, you can migrate public folders to Office 365. But if the process is interrupted, you may be unable to resume it. In this case, you might have to set up everything again from the beginning. It’s the reason for the process that takes up a lot of time.
Using native methods to migrate Exchange 2010 to Office 365 takes a long time. Even so, it’s a risky way to endure data safety.
Professional method for moving to Office 365:
Therefore, to migrate Exchange 2010 to Office 365, you must use an automated software solution, such as the Shoviv Office 365 Migration Tool. It allows you to migrate public folders to Office 365 from an ideal exchange.
Shoviv’s Exchange to Office 365 migration tool migrates Exchange to Office 365 quickly and securely. The tool to deal with the problem works fast and is easy to use. With the Shoviv tool, users can add and migrate one or more mailboxes from Exchange to Office 365. It migrates the primary mailboxes, archive, and other mailboxes very well. This planned software is beneficial because it works with all the Exchange Server. During the exporting process, you can also use the filter feature to sort items according to your needs.
Native methods are an ideal approach to make this migration effortless and secure. Use a well-known solution that protects your data and takes care of your efforts, like Shoviv’s tool. You can even migrate public folders to Office 365, which makes it a complete migration solution Shoviv Exchange to office 365 migration gives confidence by keeping an eye on the whole process if they choose to use it. You can try a free demo version to see how well this tool works to migrate Exchange 2010 to Office 365. It will migrate the first 50 items per folder before a license.