This write-up will take you with the introduction of the OST files and how the user can look to import OST to PST in Outlook 2019 and 2016, including the manual method and one recommended third-party software.
OST is a storage file associated with the Outlook account that is usually synchronized with the Exchange server and allows users to access the Outlook mailbox data. Users can easily access it without the internet and make any changes without connectivity. It will get automatically reflected in the Exchange whenever the internet restores. Similar to any file format, the OST file is also vulnerable to corruption. There are many situations which can be the cause behind the OST corruption.
Irrespective of any Outlook version, i.e., 2016 or 2019, the inaccessible OST requires an immediate solution to regain access to the data. So to come out of these situations, the user can import OST to PST in Outlook 2019 and 2016 using any available migration strategies. To check out some of them which will recover the OST data, keep reading this blog.
Critical Situation when User looks to Import OST into PST
Different situations make it essential for the user to import the OST file into the PST file format. We list some of the reasons below:
- Whenever the Exchange server goes for maintenance or faces downtime due to any internal issues, accessibility of the Exchange server data is possible when the user has converted the OST to a PST file.
- If the user needs their data on any other system apart from where the user’s Outlook account is configured, it is impossible to do it with the OST file. For this, the user must first convert OST into PST and then copy the .pst into another system.
- Due to OST corruption, the user cannot access the Exchange data, so to regain access, the user looks for conversion.
Methods to Import OST into PST in Outlook 2019 & 2016: Manual & Professional Solution
Outlook Archive Functionality to Import OST to PST in Outlook 2019 and 2016 versions:
This method is helpful in copying the OST file data into the PST file format. However, it can convert all OST file items, excluding Outlook contacts.
- First, the user needs to open the Outlook application and the OST from where the user wants to export data.
- Now click on File>>Tab and then select cleanup tool. Proceed with selecting the Archive option.
- In the Archive dialog box, the user will need to select the “Archive this folder and subfolder” option.
- Now you need to select the desired OST file folder where you want to convert the data.
- After that, the user needs to mention the approx. Data in the Archive items older than the box.
Note: All items till the mentioned date will get archived.
- Here there will be a need to provide the location in order to store the resultant PST file.
- To complete the process, click on the OK button.
Limitations of Outlook Archive Method
The Exchange server cannot access the orphaned files. If any issues with the Exchange server occur, mailbox data cannot be retrieved. To restore orphaned OST files, manual approaches are ineffective. The manual method to import OST to PST in Outlook 2019 and 2016 takes a long time using manual procedures because it is difficult to track the exact position of each OST file.
It means you will have to spend a lot of time finding your OST file. There are also a variety of methods available for converting OST files.
Professional Solution for OST to PST Conversion
The professional converter tool provides an automatic route to import large and multiple OSTs into PST. The name of such utility is Shoviv OST to PST converter, which is one of the best software and also recommended by most Microsoft MVPs.
The software also efficiently converts all OST file items from the mailbox without any issues. Furthermore, the software also helps users repair the orphanage OST file without changing their data integrity. This tool, during the process to import OST to PST in Outlook 2019 and 2016 versions, gives out an option to split the resultant PST file in order to comply with most of the Outlook version PST file size limits.
One essential function of this software is its Incremental export option. Users can check out this option before starting the process, and this feature will ensure to resume the process if any interruption appears during the process. A free version is also available, which the user can take advantage of it to test its performance.
It is undeniable that there are lots of drawbacks associated with the OST file, which we have explained to you in this write-up. However, the user may have their requirements to convert the OST into PST in the different Outlook versions. If you are one of them looking to import OST to PST in Outlook 2019 and 2016 versions, you can consider the methods that suit you better.
But we will suggest users go with the professional software for whom the data safety and conversion speed are the top-most priority.