HCL Notes allows users to communicate with the rest of the world through email communication. It is one of the older email clients that offer high-end functionality and make the work easier for its users. However, as technology changes, user demand also get evolves. The email client niche is not an exception. After Office 365 came into existence, many HCL note users looked for Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration, but most of them got confused while selecting the migration methodology.
A large part of the user always wanted to try the manual migration method themselves. However, mostly a user who doesn’t possess excellent technical skills has a higher chance of receiving failure. Therefore, this write-up will inform you about the insights into the migration reasons and the reliable migration method.
Why user looking to move into Office 365 from Lotus Notes?
Several instances persist when the user looks to move into the Office 365 environment from the Lotus Notes email client. Some of the factor in making the migration has been mentioned below:
- Lotus Notes is way much costlier than Office 365. The user only needs to pay the monthly subscription fees to attain Office 365, whereas Lotus Notes users require paying an upfront amount to obtain it.
- Running Lotus Notes is not easier due to its not user-friendly GUI. On the other side, Microsoft Office 365 comes with an intuitive interface, making it easier to work.
- Microsoft Office 365 includes many interactive applications like Skype for business, PowerPoint, SharePoint, etc.
- The data of Office 365 users is stored on the cloud server, which provides additional safety to data compared to any other on-premise email client.
- Lotus Notes email client requires the manual update. However, Office 365 updates itself automatically without the need for human intervention.
We know that migration is a complex subject, but there are several techniques through which it gets easier to change email clients. We will show you some of the Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration methods to make you aware of them.
Methods to Switch from Lotus Notes to O365
Multiple migration methods are available to move the Lotus Notes data into Office 365, but choosing the right techniques is very important. This blog aims to provide accurate information so that users looking to migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365 will not face any inconvenience during the migration.
If we look at the methods, one can migrate their Lotus Notes mailboxes using the MONTI and the IMAP connector. However, first, we will focus on explaining the MONTI.exe application.
Migration Method # 1: Utilizing MONTI.exe
Users need to look for install this utility from the Microsoft official website. Look at the below-mentioned procedure to migrate Lotus Notes data through this utility.
- Using the browse button, users can select the folder in which they need to unzip the folder. After choosing the location, click Unzip to continue.
- Unzipped Successful message will display after completing the Unzip procedure.
- After that user needs to open the migration guide and learn how to move Lotus Notes mailboxes.
This migration method takes more time to migrate the user data as the migration guide contains 84 pages which will take time for the users to get over. Users can avoid to migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365 through this process because a minor mistake can put the complete migration into trouble.
The following manual migration method uses the IMAP connector to migrate the user Lotus Notes account data.
Migration Method #2: Using IMAP Connector
Before starting the migration through this method, make sure to take a backup of the Lotus Notes data. After that, just create the mailbox for each user in Office 365. Once you are done with the previous step make sure to switch on the IMAP TCP/IP port for all users; look at the below-described procedure to enable the IMAP port:
- Firstly the user needs to open the Lotus Notes Domino Administrator account.
- Now look to click on the configuration tab.
- Open the Server document, which contains the IMAP services saved.
- After that, click on the ports, then internet ports, and finally, Mail port.
- Enable the TCP/IP port from the IMAP section and click the save button to end the procedure.
Drawbacks of manual migration method to migrate Lotus Notes into Office 365
- There is a limitation in the number of migrations of user mailboxes. At one time, you can be only able to migrate 15 user mailboxes.
- The manual migration method cannot migrate those NSF files which breach 1 GB in size.
- A time-consuming method as well as requires prior technical knowledge to run the migration successfully.
- If an interruption occurs during the migration, you need to restart the process again, resulting in more time.
- Through IMAP protocol you cannot migrate your online data.
- Any mistake during the Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration can result in data loss.
- The Lotus Notes emailing client will face problems while connecting with the internet when the Proxy and the firewall are active.
- Users will face difficulties while setting up the migration through the IMAP connectors.
Reliable Technique to migrate Lotus Notes data safely into Office 365
Users can use advanced software to eliminate such risks during the migration process and migrate Lotus Notes mailboxes quicker. Shoviv Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration software performs the task faster while also making sure to maintain the data integrity of each data involved during migration.
The software allows the migration of multiple NSF files into Office 365 of any size. Once all NSF files are added to the tool, users can see a preview of them. It has a user-friendly interface which makes it accessible to all users without any hassle. This tool came along with numerous advanced features as well. This tool doesn’t make any changes in the hierarchy of the folder of the NSF files. It conducts the Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration step by step, and any user will find it easy to perform them. Some of its prominent functionalities have been listed below:
- The tool includes the incremental export option that will resume the interrupted process from the last halted point.
- Using the software folder mapping option, the user can map the source folder with any other folder.
- Perform Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration without creating any cause of concern for the data.
- The software has a filter option for users to migrate the selective data.
- User can move their Lotus Notes mailboxes into the on-premises Exchange Server.
- Its email translation features help to change the source email address according to the target server email address.
- It is capable of adding multiple HCL Notes mailboxes without creating an adverse effect on the software workings.
These are some key features that will make the Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration easier and safer. To know the performance of the software in detail, users can run the software’s free demo version. It is possible to move the first 50 items /folder using the free version.
In this technical guide, we have discussed the Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration step by step including the manual migration procedure. On the other side, we have also demonstrated one professional software that carries the migration a bit easier than manual methods. However, it depends upon your requirements which way you need to move. Moreover, we will advise you that if you have little knowledge about performing the migration, you may go with the third-party software explained above.