What is WordPress?
WordPress is free open-source content management system written in PHP. Below we have provided the best WordPress Interview Questions that are specially designed for WordPress developers having 2,3,4, 5 years of experience.
2) What year was WordPress released?
First version of wordress is released in Year 2003
3) What are minimum requirements to run WordPress?
- PHP 7 or greater
- MySQL 5.6 or greater OR MariaDB 10.0 or greater
- The mod_rewrite Apache module
- HTTPS support(Recommended)
4) List some features of WordPress.
WordPress powers more than 28% of the web and this figure is not limited it rises every day.Everything from simple websites, to blogs, to complex portals and enterprise websites, and even applications, are built with WordPress.Here are some of the features of WordPress.
- It’s Simplicity
- Easier publishing tools
- Search Engine Optimized
- User Management
- Media Management
- Easy Theme System
- Easy Extendability with Plugins
- Multilingual Support
- Easy Installation and Upgrades
- Multilingual Support
- Built-in Comments System
- Custom Content Types
5) What is a plugin in WordPress? List plugin that comes with WordPress.
The core of WordPress is designed to be lean and lightweight, to maximize flexibility and minimize code bloat. Plugins then offer custom functions and features so that each user can tailor their site to their specific needs.
- Below is the list of plugins that comes with WordPress installation.
- Hello Dolly
6) What is the difference between wordpress.com and wordpress.org
7) Where is WordPress content stored?
8) What are the differences between Posts and Pages?
Posts and Pages are the two content types in WP.Posts are timed and listed in chronological order with the latest posts at the top. Posts are meant to be shared and commented on.
Pages are static are static content, so an about us, contact us page etc. They are permanent and timeless entries.
9) What are the types of hooks in WP and what are their functions?
There are two types hooks are available in WordPress, action hooks and filter hooks
They allow the user to, with short snippets of code, modify areas in a theme or plugin without modifying the original file.
10) What is an action hook?
An Action hook in WordPress is a hook that is triggered at a specific time when WordPress is running and lets you take an action. This can include things like creating a widget when WordPress is initializing or sending a Tweet when someone publishes a post.
11) What is a filter hook?
A Filter hook in WordPress allows you get and modify WordPress data before it is sent to the database or the browser. Some examples of filters would include customizing how excerpts are displayed or adding some custom code to the end of a blog post or headings.
12) How do you enable debug mode in WP?
13) What is a WordPress taxonomy?
In WordPress, a “taxonomy” is a grouping mechanism for some posts (or links or custom post types). There are four default taxonomies in WordPress they are
- Link Category
- Post Formats
You are also free to create your custom taxonomies too.
Also, Read Drupal Interview Question
14) Is WordPress secure?
15) How many default tables are the WordPress, Can you list them?
There are 11 table in wordpress, they are
16) What is default table prefix for wordpress?
17) What are disadvantages of WordPress?
- Use of multiple plugins can make website heavy to load and slow
- Only utilizes PHP
- Sometimes updates can lead to loss of data, so you always need a backup copy
- Modifying images and tables are difficult.
18) What is the difference between installing and activating a theme?
19) Which ‘meta box’ is not hidden by default on Post and Page screens?
20) What is the difference between the two URLs in General Settings? (Hint: WordPress Address AND Site Address).
21) What are Importers in WordPress?
In WordPress, Importers are plugins that provide the functionality to import a bulk XML file with any number of records. It enables to import Posts, Page, Custom Posts and Users data in an XML file.
22) What do you mean by the custom field in WordPress?
23) In WordPress, objects are passed by value or by reference.
24) What is the loop in WordPress?
25) How can you disable comments in WordPress?
To disable comments in WordPress, Please follow below steps
- Step 1: Login to your WordPress admin panel.
- Step 2: Go to the Settings menu.
- Step 3: Under Settings menu click on Discussion.
- Step 4: Uncheck Allow people to post comments on new articles. checkbox
- Step 5: Click on save changes button, you done
26) How to run database Query on WordPress?
WordPress’s query function allows you to execute any SQL query on the WordPress database. It is best used when there is a need for specific, custom, or otherwise complex SQL queries. For more basic queries, such as selecting information from a table, see the other wpdb functions above such as get_results, get_var, get_row or get_col.
<?php $wpdb->query('query'); ?>
Read more from https://codex.wordpress.org/Class_Reference/wpdb#Running_General_Queries
27) List some action and filter hooks functions in WordPress?
Below are list of some Filter hooks functions
Below are list of some Action hooks functions
28) What are the template tags in WordPress? List some of them.
In WordPress template tags are PHP functions that are used to display information dynamically or customize blog template.Below are the list of some generally used template tags in WordPress
Read More about WordPress template tags from
29) Function to get website url in wordpress?
30) How will you display error messages during development in WordPress?
To display error messages in WordPress. Open WordPress wp-cofig.php file and change WP_DEBUG constant value to true In WordPress, WP_DEBUG is a PHP constant (a permanent global variable) that can be used to trigger the “debug” mode throughout the website.
31) List the Positive aspects of WordPress?
Following are the Positive aspects of WordPress:
- In-built SEO system
- Easy theme system
- Easy installation and upgrade
- Easy and flexible publishing option
- Multilingual is available in about more than 70 languages
- Own data full control and no unwanted advert on your personal or commercial website.
32) What is a custom field in WordPress?
The custom field in WordPress is a meta-data that allows the user to store the arbitrary information in the WordPress post. Using the custom field, other extra details can be added to the WordPress post.
33) Mention the rules to be followed while developing the WordPress Plugin?
While developing a WordPress Plugin, the following rules should be followed step by step:
- Create a unique name.
- Create the folder of Plugin.
- Create a sub-folder for PHP files, translations, and assets.
- Create the main plug-in file and fill up the header information.
- Create activation and de-activation functions.
- Create an uninstall script.
- Create a readme.txt file.
- In case of detecting the paths to plug-in file, use proper functions and constants.
34) Why is MySQL used in WordPress?
The following features of MySQL satisfy the use of MySQL in WordPress and make it easy for anyone to host their website.
- The widely available database server
- Extremely fast
- Open source
- Free of cost
- Supported by many low-cost Linux hosts.
36) Is wordpress.com more secure than wordpress.org?
37) Why is a static front page used in WordPress and how can you create one?
38) Which is the considerably best multilingual plugin in WordPress?
39) List the essential features you look for a theme?
40) What is a child theme?
41) Can you list any other CMS better than WordPress?
42) Are there any limitations in WordPress?
43) What do you do when your WordPress website is hacked?
Below are the basic steps that can be taken when your WordPress website is hacked
- Install security plugins like WP security
- Re-install the latest version of WordPress
- Change password and user-ids for all your users
- Check if all your themes and plug-ins are up-to-date
- Uninstall all plugins that are downloaded from untrusted places
44) How safe is your website on WordPress?
45) What is usermeta function in WordPress?
The user metafunction is used to retrieve the metadata of users. It can return a single value or an array of metadata.
Syntax is: get_user_meta( int $user_id, string $key = ”, bool $single = false )
User id is the required user id parameter
Key is the optional parameter which is the meta key to retrieve. By default, it returns data for all key values.
Single is an optional parameter that tells whether the single value will return. By default, it is false.